BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, March 04, 2006

just say no to barnes & noble

Ok, so I could never do that. I have a hard time controlling myself when I stop in. Tonight I went in looking for two books. Even though I only found one of them, I still left the store with 3. Plus I was tempted to buy a picture book of France for Sarah and a knitting book for BriaƱ because they were fairly cheap.

I was surprised at how busy the place was at 9pm on a Saturday night. Apparently it's a good time to go book shopping. *shrug*

15 mindblowing comments:

Rachel said...

I have problems with spending too much money at Barnes & Noble too. Blasted bookstores...

dawnmarie said...

You don't have to say no to Barnes and Noble, you just have to take Dawn and her 30% discount card with you.

Rocketstar said...

What books did you buy?

Books/reading is a good thing to spend your money on.

Sarah said...

whenever they ask if i have that, i say yes, but not with me and give them my parent's phone # and they give me my mom's discount. hee.

Brianinmpls said...

I am knot knitting...lol

theresa said...

I got:

"Origins of the Crash: The Great Bubble and its Undoing" by Roger Lowenstein

"A Separate Peace" by John Knowles &

"Freakonomics" by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner

The first book is the one I had the intent to buy when I went to B&N. The other two will get added to the already large stack of books that I need to read but don't have time to. I'm excited for the time when I get to read for fun.

dawnmarie said...

Sarah - I don't have the 10% one, I have the 30% employee one. But we tell people to use whomever's they know when we ask about the discount card.

T - A Separate Pace, excellente.

Brianinmpls said...

Sweet Freakonomics!!! I love how he teases data and even though I don't agree with all of his findings I love how it makes me think.

What is a seperate peace about? I like the play on words in the title:)

Rachel said...

I [heart] A Seperate Peace. It was one of my favorite books that we had to read in high school English class.

Anonymous said...

A former coworker and I used to forbid ourselves from going to Barnes and Noble. No matter what reason we went, we found ourselves spending too much time there, and spending too much money...particularly when we already had piles of books at home to read, and books we wanted to borrow from each other.

Those books sound good...

Anonymous said...

I was there on Saturday too. However, if you'd been there at the same time I was, you'd not have wanted to stay and shop.

Sarah said...

i just remembered i have a $25 gift card from my momma from valentine's day. she always, always, always buys me the new j. grisham that always,always, always comes out on the 2nd tuesday of february, but something strange happened this year and he didn't write a new book. i'm kinda lost.

theresa said...

Brian,

I'm not real sure what it is about because I read the first 20 pages or so about 5 years ago. I've wanted to finish reading it ever since then so I picked it up. Here's what the back of the book says:

"Set at a boys' boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescece. Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete. What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world."

Sarah,

Grisham books are addicting. I've only read 3 or 4 of them but eventually I'd like to read them all.

Sarah said...

i own them all in hardcover!

theresa said...

*jealous*